Just 10 Weeks to Gain Skills to be a Dispatcher
Considering a new career as a dispatcher? Cuyahoga Community College (Tri-C®) can provide you with the skills and training you need in police, fire and emergency medical dispatching. We offer a ten-week Dispatch Communications course.
Dispatch Communications Course
- Ten-week, 160-hour dispatcher course combines classroom and hands-on dispatch training.
- Practice handling single and multiple simulated calls with scenarios in law, fire and EMS using a 911 dispatch software.
- Exercises to learn to read maps effectively.
- Keyboarding and listening and responding to actual 911 and non-emergency calls.
- Skill-building exercises using computer-aided dispatch (CAD).
- Basic introductory course to emergency medical dispatch (EMD).
- Skills assessment exam to prepare students for Dispatcher Civil Service Exam.
- Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR).
- Specialty training in Alert, Lockdown, Inform, Counter, Evacuate (A.L.I.C.E.).
- Incident Command Training with FEMA ICS 100.
- Job readiness and professionalism.
View Courses and Register
- ZLAW-1187: APCO Public Safety Communicator (PST) I
- ZLAW-1207: Dispatch Communications
- ZEMS-1044: Heartsaver CPR AED & First Aid
- ZZZZ-2013: Police Agility Exam
- ZZZZ-2016: Pre-Screening Psychological Assessment
- ZLAW-1204: Professional Standards
The demand for qualified dispatchers continues to grow. Dispatchers work for police departments, fire departments, law enforcement agencies, colleges and universities, hospitals, ambulance services, telematics call centers and transportation/freight companies.
$1,275* – Includes class uniform, textbook, class materials and certification test fee.
*Students who provide proof of current CPR certification (valid through the duration of the course) pay a reduced program cost of $1,200. Proof of CPR certification must be presented at registration to receive the $75 discount.
Upon completion of the program, students will receive the following certifications:
- National Emergency Communications Certification.
- Certification in 911 Telecommunications, including Police, Fire and EMS.
- Certification in FEMA-ICS 100, Active Shooter, A.L.I.C.E. and Keyboarding.
- CPR Certification.
- Tri-C Certificate of Completion.