HEERF (Higher Education Emergency Relief Funds) Student Emergency Fund
Through the American Rescue Plan Act, Tri-C has been awarded additional funds by the U.S. Department of Education to make emergency financial aid awards to assist students impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic to continue their education.
Cuyahoga Community College Higher Education Emergency Relief Fund (HEERF) student emergency financial aid awards are prioritized for Tri-C students with exceptional financial need to cover costs, such as tuition and fees, food assistance, housing assistance, health care (including mental health care) emergencies, childcare emergencies and other educational related expenses as a result of the coronavirus pandemic.
Applications are currently being accepted for the Spring 2022 semester. Please see below for how to apply and HEERF disbursement/refund information.
Eligible students must:
- Be currently enrolled at Cuyahoga Community College in an eligible Title IV program for the semester in which funds are being requested
- Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (fafsa.gov)
- Document exceptional need or emergency financial circumstance related to COVID-19
- See the HEERF Student Emergency Fund FAQs for more details
Examples of emergency financial need or emergency expenses due to COVID-19 pandemic include, but are not limited to:
- Tuition assistance
- Food assistance
- Housing assistance
- Child care emergencies
- Health emergencies
- Technology and equipment needs
- Loss of employment
- Reduced income due to COVID-related situation
If your financial situation has changed due to a change of income or loss of employment during the COVID-19 pandemic, the Student Financial Aid and Scholarships team can help you update your FAFSA and determine your financial aid eligibility.
Students with demonstrated emergency expenses or exceptional need related to the COVID-19 pandemic may be eligible for funds up to $2,000, based on enrollment levels at the time in which your application was reviewed.
Applying for Tri-C HEERF Student Emergency Fund
- Contact the Student Financial Aid and Scholarships Office via Live Chat, calling 216-987-6000, or emailing email@example.com to determine eligibility.
- The HEERF Student Emergency Fund application is for Tri-C students who are enrolled for the current semester.
- Students can choose to receive funds directly by direct deposit or check by USPS mail, or have the funds applied to their student billing account to help pay tuition and other college charges. Any remaining balance after charges are paid will be refunded to the student according to the college refund process.
- Students who have already received HEERF Student Emergency fund for the current term are NOT eligible to reapply for the fund in the same term.
HEERF Disbursement/Refund Process
All approved HEERF applications will be distributed to students after the 15th day of the semester for the latest part of term for registered classes.
Important Note: Disbursement dates are determined at the time the HEERF application was reviewed. Please review our HEERF Student Emergency Fund FAQs for additional information.
Application Status Notification
- Students will receive an email notification about their HEERF application status. Email notices are sent to students’ Tri-C email account.
- Students will also be notified of their application status in their My Tri-C space under the “View My Messages” link.
The Student Financial Aid and Scholarships team reviews applications Monday through Friday. Please allow 5-7 business days to process.
Important HEERF News and Updates
According to the National Association for Student Financial Aid Administrators (NASFAA):
Scammers are taking advantage of the ongoing pandemic in attempts to obtain students’ financial and personal information, in some instances posing as financial aid offices. The Federal Trade Commission (FTC) issued a warning last week notifying students that suspicious emails claiming to be from the “Financial Department” at their respective institutions are advertising how to receive the economic stimulus check.
HEERF Act Declaration Reporting
The federal government has awarded an additional $23 million to Tri-C, of which at least $5 million will be allocated to students in emergency financial aid grants, in addition to any remaining CARES -HEERF I student emergency funds still to be allocated. Funds will provide emergency financial aid support for students experiencing exceptional financial need and/or emergency expenses as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic.
The 30 day fund report (initial report) and the quarterly (45 day) fund reporting provides the required updates of the numbers of Tri-C students receiving funds through the HEERF program, and the total amount awarded.