Student Emergency Fund Programs
The Student Emergency Fund programs were made possible by various generous donors to the College. The purpose of this emergency program is to temporarily help students overcome unforeseen financial challenges that would affect their ability to continue in their studies.
Students may receive only one award per academic year.
Examples of emergencies include, but are not limited to:
- Technology and equipment needs
- Books and supplies
- Child-care related emergencies
- Health emergency expenses not covered by insurance
- Paying for housing/rent when unusual circumstances arise
- Transportation-related emergencies (non-routine car repairs)
- Unexpected loss of income
- Emergency food assistance
Please note: Student must submit a detailed explanation of the emergency situation and provide supporting documentation at the time the application is filed.
|Semester||Begin Date||End Date|
|Spring 2023||Jan. 7, 2023||May 5, 2023|
Eligibility and Award Criteria
Below are the criteria for the fund. Students are only eligible to receive one emergency fund per academic year.
|Emergency Fund Programs||Student Emergency Fund|
|What is the eligibility criteria?||
Students who are eligible to complete a FAFSA, must file an application for the current academic year
Students that are exempt from completing a FAFSA application are as follows: International/DACA/workforce programs
Demonstrates an emergency situation and provides supporting documentation
Demonstrates they have the ability and intention of completing their courses satisfactorily
|Does the student need to be enrolled in the term in which application was applied?||Be enrolled at least 6 credit hours or be enrolled in workforce training program for the term they are requesting funds
|Is documentation of the emergency required?||Yes
|What is the frequency is the fund?||Once per award year
|Maximum Award||Up to $500|
Disbursement Timeframe and Procedures
Disbursement will be made after the semester begins depending on when the student's application was approved and processed. The student's enrollment requirement will be verified prior to the time of disbursement.
- Students needing assistance should contact the Student Financial Aid and Scholarships office.
- Once the request is received, the financial aid office will process the funds as follows:
- Tuition Assistance: the funds will be applied to the student’s tuition and fees.
- Book Assistance: the funds will be refunded to the students for book/supplies purchases.
- Other needs (funds needed to cover outside financial challenges): the funds will be applied to the student’s account and a refund request will be submitted to the bursar’s office, to be refunded as part of the normal refunding schedule. Student are encouraged to create a BankMobile account for direct deposit for the fastest refund delivery method. Students who did not set up direct deposit will be mailed a check through USPS.
- Processing timeframe is up to 5 business days for the decision on the application. If approved, allow up to 3 additional business days for direct deposit. Paper checks can take additional time to arrive depending on USPS.
- Students will be notified of their application status in their My Tri-C space under the “View My Messages” link and an email will be sent.
For additional information regarding how to request the emergency fund, please to contact the Student Financial Aid and Scholarships Office.