Program and Course Assessment
We are proud to announce Cuyahoga Community College's acceptance into the HLC Assessment Academy!
Cuyahoga Community College has been accepted into the Higher Learning Commission (HLC) Assessment Academy's Fall 2017 Cohort! The four-year Assessment Academy will help the College grow its efforts to continuously improve student learning. Tri-C looks forward to building relationships and collaborating with other institutions in the academy.
Click here to learn more about the HLC Assessment Academy.
The College's travel team has completed its first trip to the academy. The team dedicated their time to determining which project to focus on for the next four years. To close the loop between Tri-C's curriculum and practices — and, most importantly, to ensure student learning — the College is currently undertaking a faculty-led endeavor to assess course-level outcomes.
Faculty are working with their colleagues to select course-level outcomes in their discipline; choose assignments to assess; build rubrics; and assess the chosen assignments. After the assessments are complete, the Assessment office will aggregate the data and share it with the faculty counterparts.
- Assessment teams will determine the next outcome to assess and continue to align and collect assignments for that outcome.
- Teams will also begin to assess their fall artifacts.
- Teams will receive aggregated assessment data to share with faculty participants to encourage discussions. The project team will not participate in evaluations; however, members will be available in a supportive role.
- Created, distributed and reviewed Assessment Climate survey; updated external website to address assessment questions gathered from the survey.
- Identified top enrollment courses to focus on in the following disciplines: Biology, Business, Chemistry, Communications, English, IT, Math, Nursing, Psychology and Sociology.
- Participating disciplines have chosen their assessment team members, course and course outcome of focus.
- Assessment teams have collaborated with HLC Academy project team members and/or the Learning Outcomes Assessment (LOA) office to gather artifacts from faculty.
- Artifacts have been collected from Fall 2018 courses.
- Creating training materials and professional development based on results of Assessment Climate survey.
Additional information on assessing courses and programs available below:
- Employer surveys: Gauge how your graduates are doing in the real world. Results can identify any curricular gaps.
- Graduate surveys: Hear from your former students regarding areas in which they feel strong and those in which they would have liked to have had more practice before entering the workforce.
- Exit surveys: Learn what upcoming grads feel prepared for. Understand what equipment may need updating.
- Course surveys: Learn what works and what doesn't.
- The results are yours alone. LOA does not share data with anyone other than the survey requestor.
- Moved from TK20 to Blackboard Outcomes in fall 2016.
- Blackboard Outcomes is an easy-to-use tool for assessing artifacts. If you use Blackboard to collect assignments, it takes just a few clicks to align to an outcome for assessment.
- Simply create your assignment in your Blackboard course, align it to an outcome and let LOA set up an assessment session for you and your faculty to evaluate student work.
- Instructions are readily available, or an LOA team member can visit your campus for a training session.
- Your program learning outcomes are already built in to Blackboard. Simply send your rubrics, and LOA can set up assessments for next semester.
Please contact the Learning Outcomes Assessment office to learn more!