CONTEST SUBMISSION DEADLINE HAS BEEN EXTENDED to April 12, 2019 at 11:59 p.m. EDT.
Explanation of the Contest
Metamorphosis Cleveland: A Ravaged River Revitalized and 50 Years of Change is an opportunity to add your creative interpretation of sustainability and change in and around Cleveland since the infamous Cuyahoga River Fire in June 1969. What is your artistic interpretation of sustainability?
Students can interpret a sustainability-related issue or change (metamorphosis) meaningful to them — something environmental, social and/or economic. Submissions may call attention to positive or negative changes.
Students may use any medium to express or demonstrate a sustainability-related issue or change: writing; visual art; music, video, dance or performance; a science project; or just about any method they choose.
Your Metamorphosis Cleveland entry should reflect social, economic and/or environmental issues relevant to you. Consider these questions as a starting point:
- How has the Cleveland area changed environmentally, socially and/or economically in the last 50 years? How have these changes impacted our society?
- What is the most important issue we face if Cleveland, the United States and the world are to survive indefinitely?
- How does the Cleveland of today compare to the Cleveland of 1969, when the Cuyahoga River last caught fire?
- Must be currently enrolled as a Tri-C student for Spring 2019 as of April 24, 2019.
- One entry per student or group.
- Students interested in entering the contest must obtain a faculty sponsor. Faculty sponsors need not be a current instructor of the entrant.
Call for Submissions
Submissions were accepted until April 12, 2019, and the window for submissions has now closed.
A judging panel will meet to evaluate the entries. Winners will be notified in late April via the contact information provided. Contest creators reserve the right to shorten or extend the call for submissions. Submissions become the property of Cuyahoga Community College and may be used/reproduced in various marketing and educational endeavors without any future claim to copyright or compensation.
How to Enter
Submissions are no longer being accepted for the event.
Finalists in the categories of Creative Writing, Visual, Performance, Media and Academic will receive prizes, and all finalists will be considered for one of three grand prizes: People’s Choice, President’s Choice and Best in Show. Grand prize winners will receive an additional prize.
Metamorphosis Cleveland: A Ravaged River Revitalized and 50 Years of Change Celebratory Reception
Selected entries will be honored and displayed at the Metamorphosis Cleveland celebratory event on Thursday, May 2, from 6-8 p.m. at Tri-C's Hospitality Management Center.
Contest creators retain the right to cancel or adjust the contest at any time.