Congratulations to our 2023 BESSE Award Winners!
2023 Full-time Faculty Winners
- Paula Allotta, Professor, Chemistry, Westshore Campus
- Jeffrey Lowell, Assistant Professor, English, Western Campus
- Kathy Renfro, Assistant Professor, Mathematics, Metropolitan Campus
- Jonathan Wayne, Associate Professor, Visual Communication & Design, Western Campus
2023 Adjunct/Faculty Winners
- Kathy Cone, Adjunct, Mechanical Engineering COE, Metropolitan
- Rocklend Davis, Assistant Professor, Physical Therapy Assisting, Metropolitan
- Monyulona James, Adjunct, Emergency Medical Technology, Metropolitan
The Excellence in Teaching Award in Honor of Ralph M. Besse is presented annually for up to four full-time faculty members and up to four adjunct faculty or lecturers selected for exceptional professional competence and commitment to helping students succeed. Specifically, these award winners demonstrate a commitment to academic quality, stimulation of intellectual development, and investment with students within and beyond the classroom. Students are the initial driver of the list of nominees. The award is given in honor of Ralph M. Besse, Cleveland community leader and champion of higher education, who was instrumental in founding Tri-C.
- A maximum of eight awards will be announced (four full-time faculty and four adjuncts).
- Winners are announced at Fall Convocation and receive an engraved plaque, monetary award, and support for professional development.
- Awards are College-wide and not based on campus location or discipline.
- Lecturers are eligible to receive the Adjunct Award.
- This is a two-step award process. Students are the initial driver by completing an electronic form with five questions related to teaching excellence. Those eligible faculty nominees are then sent forth for a college-wide faculty/staff nomination. Faculty must have at least one student nomination and at least one faculty/staff nomination to be eligible for final consideration.
- Review the award process overview and eligibility requirements here.
2024 award timeline:
- Information on student nominations for AY 23 - 24 is coming soon.