Diagnostic Medical Sonography Program
Diagnostic Medical Sonography Degree
Information and Application Process
The Associate of Applied Science degree prepares the student for an entry-level position as a Diagnostic Medical Sonographer for employment in hospitals and other health care agencies. Cuyahoga Community College offers two associate degrees in sonography depending on the specialty chosen. The Diagnostic Medical Sonographer produces, evaluates, and correlates ultrasound images and related data. Sonographers provide a summary of their technical findings to the qualified interpreting physician to aid in rendering a medical decision.
The curriculum consists of didactic and on-campus lab instruction, as well as off-campus clinical applications at our affiliated health care institutions. All DMS specific courses are held at the Western Campus in Parma.
The cohort-style program offers specialty training in the following specialties: adult echocardiography or vascular sonography or abdominal extended-obstetrics/gynecology sonography. Clinical scanning experience hours, on-campus lectures, and labs are scheduled during the day, however, a few required lecture courses are required in the evening.
The Diagnostic Medical Sonography program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP), upon the recommendation of the Joint Review Committee on Education in Diagnostic Medical Sonography (JRC-DMS). Upon completion of the Diagnostic Medical Sonography program, graduates are eligible to apply for the national credentialing exams offered by the American Registry of Diagnostic Medical Sonography (ARDMS) in the area of their specialty.
All applicants must apply to the DMS program through the online application system using the link located on this page after successful completion of the following program admission courses and associated GPA. Please refer to the Program Prerequisites and Frequently Asked Questions tabs for more information.
- ENG 1010 College Composition I
- Math 1240 or higher
- BIO 2331 Anatomy & Physiology I
- BIO 2341 Anatomy & Physiology II
- DMS 1071 Concepts of Physics in Diagnostic Sonography (offered fall and spring)
- DMS 1303 Introduction to Sonography (offered in fall and spring)
- DMS 1320 Introduction to Sonographic Scanning (offered spring only)
- DMS 1351 Patient Care Skills (offered summer, fall and spring)
Applicants must achieve a minimum GPA of 3.0 in each of the following course groups
- Bio 2331 and Bio 2341
- DMS 1071, DMS 1303 and DMS 1320
* Enrollment in DMS 1320 is by departmental approval only. Students will receive departmental approval upon successful completion of DMS 1303 and DMS 1071.