Certified Steno Writing Certificate
Area of Study: Captioning and Court Reporting Certified Steno Writing
Degree/Certificate: Certificate of Proficiency
View cost of attendance information for Academic Year 2023-2024
The Certificate of Proficiency in Court Reporting National Court Reporters Association (NCRA) Certified Steno Writing Curriculum will prepare students to become entry-level court reporters in the judicial/official, freelance, captioning and/or CART avenues of the profession or gain employment as transcriptionists using steno writing technology. Upon completion of this certificate, students are eligible to sit for the NCRA Written Knowledge Test. This is a 100-question exam, testing the student's knowledge on procedural and more academic-type materials, including vocabulary, punctuation, transcript distribution, professional responsibilities and ethics. Students can sit for the NCRA Skills Test, the Registered Professional Reporter (RPR), using steno writing technology consisting of the dictation and transcription of three five-minute segments with accuracy of 95% — 180 word-per-minute literary, a 200 word-per-minute jury charge and a 225 word-per-minute question and answer session.
About Our Steno Program:
The NCRA mandates that certified schools teach a realtime steno theory along with a variety of academic courses focused on court reporting work and document production, English grammar skills, legal, medical and technical terminology, and proper legal procedure.
- Steno writing uses DigitalCAT software and a steno machine.
- Individuals can work in all areas of the country with steno machine skills.
- Steno students can take CCR classes online, no matter where they live across the country or the globe.
- Steno machine writers can be employed as judicial court reporters, CART providers, captioners, scopists or transcriptionists.
- Steno students begin the program by taking Intro to Court Reporting, Realtime Theory I, II and III. Beyond those four courses, all CCR students follow the same course sequences.