Cuyahoga Community College (Tri-C®) is pleased to support the RTA Student U-Pass program. U-Pass, which is short for “Universal Pass,” allows Tri-C students to ride free of charge on all Greater Cleveland RTA buses and rapid trains during all academic semesters/sessions. The College administers the U-Pass program based on the agreement between Tri-C and the Greater Cleveland Regional Transit Authority.
The U-Pass program is currently only available to registered and paid credit students who are enrolled in one credit hour or more at Cuyahoga Community College.*
Fall and Spring Semesters: All eligible students enrolled for the fall and spring semesters will receive their U-Pass via U.S. Mail to the address on file with the College Registrar’s Office once their enrollment is confirmed. You can update your mailing address on my Tri-C space through the “Student” tab.
Summer Session: All eligible students enrolled for a summer session can pick up their U-Pass at any Campus Enrollment Center. Summer U-Passes will not be mailed.
All other sessions: Students who enroll in the 14-week and second 8-week sessions can pick up their U-Pass at any Campus Enrollment Center.
Please see the Frequently Asked Questions for specific distribution dates.
- You must be a student enrolled in one or more academic credit hours at Tri-C.
- Your student account must be paid in full, have authorized financial aid to cover your full tuition, or you must have a tuition payment plan in place to cover your tuition.
* The following students are not eligible to participate in the U-Pass program: Students who are enrolled in only web-based classes, students who take classes that meet exclusively off Main Campus, Program 60 and CCP students.
Policies and Regulations
- The U-Pass is free to all eligible credit students. Those are students with one credit hour or more per semester/session, and have made payment arrangements.
- Enrolled students will receive a new U-Pass each fall and spring semester via U.S. Mail. You can update your mailing address on my Tri-C space through the “Student” tab. Please see the Frequently Asked Questions for specific distribution dates. Students who enroll, and make payment arrangements, after the mailing date for the fall and spring semester can pick up their U-Pass at any Campus Enrollment Center.
- Students enrolled in the summer session, and made payment arrangements, can pick up their U-Pass at any Campus Enrollment Center. There will not be any U-Pass mailing during the summer session.
- The U-Pass must be placed on your My Tri-C Card in the middle of the card, either above or below the student name and number, depending on current card design. Do not cover your photo, ID number, name or magnetic stripe. Do not place the U-Pass on the back of your My Tri-C Card.
- The U-Pass is only valid when properly affixed to your My Tri-C Card, during the specified dates of each semester/session.
- A replacement U-Pass sticker can be obtained at any Campus Enrollment Center. The cost of a new My Tri-C Card ID is $20.00, a replacement U-Pass sticker is an additional fee of $45.
- The U-Pass program generates no revenue for the College, and as a result Tri-C personnel do not have the authority to grant special exceptions for non-credit students or faculty and staff of the College. There is no fee for students who are eligible for the U-Pass with one credit hour or more per semester.
- College faculty and staff are not eligible for a U-Pass, even if enrolled in a course at the College, as their first assignment with the College is that of an employee.
Please note: The U-Pass is intended only for the student who is registered for the current semester/session at Tri-C, and is only valid when properly placed upon that student’s official My Tri-C Card. The U-Pass is non-transferable. Fraudulent U-Pass usage may result in disciplinary action by the College. Students who withdraw from the semester/session or change their schedule and are no longer eligible to participate in the U-Pass program must return the U-Pass to their Campus Enrollment Center with five (5) business days of their schedule change.
Benefits to the Students
- The program greatly reduces transportation costs for our students by saving on gas and other vehicle-related expenses.
- The U-Pass provides easier access to our campuses.
- The program supports Tri-C’s sustainability commitment by lowering traffic volume and air pollution.
- All Tri-C students can use the public transportation at any time during the fall/spring semester or summer session. You can use RTA transit to travel on all routes anytime throughout Cuyahoga County, including downtown, to the airport, to a ball game, etc. Your utilization of the U-Pass program is not limited to only College related activities.
- RTA availability provides a back-up mode of transportation for our students (i.e. car troubles, poor weather).
- The program benefits all Tri-C students by helping reduce parking demand on-campus.
- Students will have another option for them to be able to participate in co-curricular programming, such as trips to theaters, concerts, museums and other venues.
- Students can utilize RTA for travel to internships and off-site practicum sites associated with their on-campus learning experiences.
To plan your trip or learn about RTA services, please visit their website at http://www.riderta.com/ or call the RTAnswerLine at 216-621-9500.
Student RTA U-Pass is non-transferable. Improper use of the pass will result in confiscation and/or prosecution.