Fire Training Academy
Train to Become a Firefighter
The Tri-C® Fire Training Academy, established in 1971, is one of the largest fire training programs in Northeastern Ohio. The Fire Training Academy is chartered by the State of Ohio, Department of Public Safety, Division of EMS, Charter Number 003.
The academy includes the Firefighter I and II courses which prepare you for entry level firefighter positions. We offer several training options for those interested in the fire and EMS professions including a seven-week daytime academy, 10-week daytime academy and a 17-week evening/weekend academy.
The fall Fire Training Academies will include face-to-face training at the Tri-C Public Safety Training Center. Tri-C adopted safe distancing measures and precautions recommended by health officials. Learn more about the measures we are taking to keep students safe.
- Classroom training and hands-on skill development
- Day or evening fire training academies to fit your schedule
- Earn 13 college credits toward an Associate of Applied Science degree while in the Fire Training Academy
- Training facilities include firehouse, fire apparatus, a two-story Class A burn building, training tower, dual burn trailers and confined-space rescue prop
- Financial aid and scholarship opportunities available for qualified students - Have you or your family experienced financial hardship due to the COVID-19 pandemic? Cuyahoga Community College’s Full Tuition Assistance program can help. See if you qualify.
- EMS and paramedic training available on campus
- Degree and advanced-training opportunities
- High school diploma or GED
- 18 years or older
- Mandatory attendance for duration of the academy
- Valid Ohio driver’s license with full driving privileges
- In good health as documented by physical exam signed by licensed physician and copy of medical insurance coverage
- Successfully pass background check
- Successfully pass Physical Agility Test
- Completion of NIMS 100 and 700 (Visit FEMA website to take courses)
- Current CPR/BLS Card
Tuition and Fees
- Cuyahoga County residents: $2,689.02*
- Out-of-county residents: $3,073.04*
Tuition includes: cost of 13 academic credit hours (based on residency) and academy non-credit fee.
Equipment rental, uniform and lab fees:
- Bunker Gear and Self-Contained Breathing Apparatus (SCBA): $500
- Self-Contained Breathing Apparatus (SCBA) only : $350
- One academy polo required for classroom, two t-shirts, one sweatshirt, P.T. shorts: $60
- Required books:
- Fire Fighter Skills and Hazardous Materials Response which includes Navigate 2 Preferred Access, Fourth Edition (ISBN: 9781284151299): approximately $130 if purchased from Jones & Bartlett Learning.
- BLS for Health Care Providers: $15
- Lab Fees: $105
You must complete all the following actions to be accepted into the Fire Training Academy. There is no specific order that the following actions must be completed. We encourage applicants to work on all actions simultaneously. View all details in the application process.
All fall 2020 Fire Training Academies are full, and we are no longer accepting applications.
You must make an appointment to turn in your complete application packet. Do not make an appointment until all requirements are completed, including passing the physical fitness assessment. Appointments are scheduled Tuesdays and Thursdays between 10 a.m.-2 p.m. Email email@example.com to schedule a time.
- Complete Online Fire Training Academy Application
- Become Current Tri-C Student
- Complete Placement Testing
- Secure Method of Payment
- Pre-Screenings: Physical Exam and Background Check
- Complete Physical Agility Test and Pay Fee
- Verify Medical Insurance
- Copy of NIMS 100 and 700 Test Results
- Copy of CPR/BLS Card
- Verify Driver's License
- Complete Hold Harmless Agreement
- Schedule time to Drop Off Forms
Career Outlook for Firefighters
- Jobs for firefighters are expected to grow 7% through 2026
- Professional opportunities include firefighter, fire inspector, fire investigator, forest fire inspector or fire prevention specialist, hazardous material technician, fire captain or fire chief.