First Year Experience
Welcome to the First Year Experience (FYE) Program at Tri-C
Starting college is a major step, and FYE helps new students start their Tri-C career on the right path. There are four major goals for FYE:
- Connect - You will connect with College personnel, resources, and peers to build a campus community and support system.
- Engage - You will be active in the College community and be responsible for your own learning and development.
- Plan - You will explore your personal and career interests and plot out a course sequence for degree completion. Additionally, you will reflect on what it means to be a student and develop a success plan that will help you balance school and personal demands.
- Succeed - You will acquire the necessary skills, habits and resources to help you achieve your goals.
FYE features a series of activities designed to help students succeed. The program is customized to each student’s individual needs, and may include the following:
- New Student Orientation (NSO) introduces students to Tri-C policies, procedures and resources. Additionally, students receive an individual counseling session, campus tour, and assistance with course selection and registration. Find out more on the Orientation website.
- First Year Success Seminar (GEN 1070) is a one-credit course that develops lifelong learning skills, connects students to College resources and clarify degree and career pathway. Course topics include time management, managing college and personal finances, connecting to essential college resources, information literacy, and planning your career path. Students will build their academic plan.