Ohio Learning Summit
About this Event
Ohio Adaptive Learning Summit
Thursday, June 17, 2021
8:30 a.m. – 3 p.m.
The 2021 Virtual Ohio Adaptive Learning Summit was an opportunity to explore the use of adaptive learning technology in higher education. The summit provided an opportunity to hear from faculty, instructional designers, students, and courseware vendors on the use of adaptive courseware across the state. This event was free and open to the public - registration was required.
- Adaptive courseware products
- Equity in outcomes
- Faculty and student experience
Ohio Adaptive Learning Summit Agenda
8:30 – 10 a.m. EDT Morning Livestream
- Welcome Addresses
- Dr. Alex Johnson, Cuyahoga Community College President, ATD Board Chair
- Dr. Karen A. Stout, President and CEO of Achieving the Dream
- Keynote Address: “From Theory to Practice: Building Equity into your Course”
- Michele Hampton, Professor, Business Administration, Cuyahoga Community College
- Student Voices Panel
- Moderated session of students about how adaptive courseware was beneficial to their success.
10 – 10:15 a.m. EDT Stand and Stretch Break
10:15 – 10:45 a.m. EDT Courseware Vendor Show and Tell
10:50 – 11:20 a.m. EDT Concurrent Session A: Faculty Using Courseware Presentations
11:30 a.m. – noon EDT Concurrent Session B: Faculty Using Courseware Presentations
Noon – 1 p.m. EDT Virtual Lunch and Networking Session
1 – 1:45 p.m. EDT Concurrent Session C: Best Practices using Adaptive Courseware
- Turbo Charge Your Teaching: Informing Instruction and Improving Equity with Student- Level Data Insights
- Utilizing Faculty Learning Communities to Implement Adaptive Courseware
- Student Voices: How Adaptive Courseware Helps Students Learn
- Supporting Student Success with Adaptive Courseware: The Importance of Data Analytics for Faculty and Student Onboarding
2 – 2:45 p.m. EDT Concurrent Session D: Discipline Specific Faculty and Group Panel Discussions
- Social Sciences/Liberal Arts
- Business and Mathematics
- Instructional Designers and Technologists
- Ohio Adult Learners
1 - 3:00 p.m. EDT Vendor Demo Sessions - will run throughout Concurrent Sessions C and D on a drop-in basis.
3:00 p.m. EDT End of Day
- Lumen Learning
- Knewton alta & Wiley+ Adaptive Practice
- McGraw Hill Connect and ALEKS
Please email OhioLearningSummit@tri-c.edu with any questions.
FAQ about Adaptive Learning (from Achieving the Dream)
What is adaptive courseware?
- A digital teaching tool with instruction and assessments scoped and sequenced to support an entire course
- Provides personalized and nonlinear instruction by analyzing students’ responses and pointing them to activities based on their needs
- Provides instructors with data about each student’s progress and learning so they can modify instruction in response
What are the benefits for students?
- Allows students to move through the course material flexibly based on their demonstrated knowledge and skills
- Can change the content or degree of difficulty to keep students engaged
- Provides immediate feedback so students can self-assess and continue to progress
- Allows for more interactive learning experiences than a textbook
What are the benefits for instructors?
- Automated assessments and analytics give instructors real-time data on students’ progress and areas of need
- Instructors can see how students are interacting with the course material (time spent on activities, study habits)
- Frees up instructors to spend more class time on interactive activities that build on student engagement with content outside of class
What are the benefits for institutions?
- Potential to improve student success rates in foundational courses
- Provides richer student data than is possible with textbooks
- Potential to reduce the cost of course materials
- Can help institutions meet their larger goals (e.g., improved affordability, access, retention, equity)