Private Security Training Academy
Whether you’re currently working in private security or want to start a new career, Tri-C’s Private Security Training Academy can help you on your path to a rewarding career as a security professional.
About Private Security Officer Training
Tri-C’s Private Security Training Academy prepares you to become a private security officer. Security officers protect property, people, equipment and money from theft or other criminal activity including waste, damage and unsafe behavior. This rewarding career will allow you to earn more money and move into supervisory roles.
Private Security Academies run based on demand. Complete this interest form to receive information about upcoming academies.
Courses are face-to-face at the Tri-C Public Safety Training Center. Tri-C has adopted safe distancing measures and precautions recommended by health officials. Learn more about the measures we are taking to keep students safe.
- Day, evening and weekend classes available
- Offered at Tri-C’s Eastern, Metropolitan and Western campuses
- 124 contact hours
- Lectures, scenario-based training and group participation
- Prepares you to take the Ohio Peace Officer Training Commission (OPOTC) exam
- State-of-the-art law enforcement training facility
- Eligible students can apply for financial aid
- 12 credit hours can be applied toward an Associate of Applied Science degree in Criminal Justice
- High school diploma or GED
- At least 18 years old at time of acceptance
- Perfect attendance for the duration of the academy (per OPOTC regulation)
- Any felony conviction (including any arrests or convictions expunged or sealed by the court) and certain misdemeanor convictions (including domestic violence and drug possession) may prohibit you from entering the academy. In addition, any crime reduction or plea agreement/bargain in which the original charge was domestic violence will prohibit you from entering the academy.*
*Applicants seeking firearm certification must not have a criminal record, to include domestic violence or any conviction of a lesser offense or plea where the original charge was domestic violence.
Tuition and Fees
- Cuyahoga County residents: $2,600*
- Out-of-county residents: $2,900*
Tuition includes online access to Student performance objective materials, academy shirts (one T-shirt and one polo), American Heart Association First Aid/CPR certification, Details provided at orientation.
*Tuition or fees subject to change without notice
In order to be accepted into the Private Security Academy, you must complete all of the following steps. View all details in the application process.
Step 1: Complete Online Private Security Academy Application
Step 2: Become a Current Tri-C Student
Step 3: Complete Placement Testing
Step 4: Secure Method of Payment
Step 5: Verify High School Diploma or GED
Step 6: Attend Private Security Academy Information Session
Hear From Our Graduates
Graduates of Tri-C’s Private Security Training Academy have secured employment with school districts, private security agencies, government agencies, municipalities, retail facilities, hospitals and correctional facilities.