Upward Bound Math/Science
The Upward Bound Math/Science Program prepares students for college by helping students obtain the academic skills and motivation necessary for success in high school and in college!
About Tri-C's Upward Bound Math/Science:
Upward Bound Math/Science (UBMS) is an after school pre-college program that provides college prep services and exposure to educational and career opportunities in Science, Technology, Engineering, Medicine or Math (STEM). The program is federally funded and serves 56 students.
What Upward Bound Math/Science does:
From September to May we provide services to help students develop academic skills in Math, Science, and English required to pass the End-of-course exams. As well as meet the ACT college readiness benchmarks. Students are also given pre-ACT assessments to prepare for the actual ACT and to determine their college readiness. During the summer (June – July) students engage in intensive course work in Math, Science, English, a foreign language, technology and activities to further prepare them for college and future careers.
We advise students on high school course selection, college planning, applying for financial aid and scholarships, careers, and internship opportunities. Students are exposed to STEM careers through college field trips, guest speakers, and group lectures by STEM professionals.
UBMS students are also two times more likely to enroll in college. Students enrolled in UBMS are expected to attend college in the Fall following high school graduation.
UBMS is funded by the U.S. Department of Education for $257,000/year (Sponsored by Tri-C).
Additional Details and Services:
- Interested students must complete an application and the student-parent/guardian interview with UBMS staff.
- Support services are provided during high school to assist students in developing the core academic skills in Math, Science, and English required for achieving academic success in high school and college.
- UBMS is a year-round program comprised of two components - school year (September – May) and summer (June – July).
- Both the school year and summer components are mandatory for all new students!
$5,000 of academic services is invested in each student per year!
- Year-round counseling and advising
- Math, Science, and English Tutoring
- End-of-course Test Preparation / SAT & ACT Preparation
- STEM Academy which is held during the summer for six-weeks, Monday-Friday (ATTENDANCE IS MANDATORY FOR ALL NEW STUDENTS)
- College Visits / Fairs
- Field Trips / Cultural Events, Personal Development Workshops (ex. time management, study skills, test-taking)
- Support when transitioning from high school to college for students & parents
- Financial Aid Advising / College Selection
- Bridge Program – UBMS participants who graduate from high school will attend Tri-C the summer immediately following graduation and earn college credit for free
- Job Shadowing / Career Fairs
Upward Bound Math/Science Eligibility Requirements:
- Students must be enrolled in grade 9 and 10
- Students must attend East Technical High School, Garrett Morgan School of Leadership & Innovation, Garrett Morgan School of Engineering & Innovation, Lincoln-West School of Global Studies, or Lincoln-West School of Science and Health
- Students must have at least a 2.5 cumulative GPA
- Students must be on track for graduation
- Students must plan to attend college after high school
- Students must complete an application and interview process