F-1 students are eligible to apply for on-campus employment. The work must take place on campus for a Tri-C department or an on-campus commercial business (such as the bookstore or cafeteria) that provides direct services to students. Employment cannot exceed 20 hours per week while school is in session. F-1 students may work full time on campus during holiday breaks, as long as they are planning to enroll full time the next semester.
Steps to obtain On-Campus Employment:
- Visit Tri-C’s employment page and search for Student Assistant or Peer Mentor positions. You can also apply for Bookseller positions through the Barnes and Noble College website. Please note: F-1 visa holders are not eligible for work-study positions.
- Complete the online application and answer all screening questions. Include a resume or references, if needed.
- Visit the Tri-C Career Services webpage for resources and workshops on resume-building, interview skills and more.
- Once you receive a job offer on official letterhead from the employer, provide a copy of the letter to your international student adviser.
- The adviser will provide you with the documentation necessary to request a Social Security number.
- Visit a local Social Security Administration office https://www.ssa.gov/locator/to apply for your card.
- Bring the following items with you:
- Allow at least two weeks for your Social Security card to arrive in the mail.
- Provide copies of your Social Security card to the International Student office and the hiring manager.