By-Pass (BYP) credit is awarded for achieving competence equivalent to a course or sequence of courses needed to fulfill an academic degree requirement.
BYP credit may be awarded for learning attained through documented, valid academic or equivalent work experience, including professional certification or licensing, portfolio evaluation and the completion of a formal training program. Formal training programs include hospital-based and corporate education for which requisite knowledge, skills and competencies are documented.
All BYP credit requests are routed through the Dean of Academic Affairs office, which will assign appropriate faculty or program managers to review and make a recommendation for awarding credit.
BYP Credit Awarding Procedure
- Students must complete a Request of Credit for Prior Learning Form. Students should meet with an academic counselor, program manager or faculty coordinator for additional assistance.
- Students must submit the form and supporting documentation and rationale to the Academic Affairs office for verification and processing. Examples of documentation include:
- Postsecondary academic experience: Official transcript (if from a non-regionally accredited school)
- Equivalent work experience: Written description of work experience and letter from the employer
- Current licensure or certification: Copy of the current license or certificate
- Portfolio-based information: Determined by the academic department
* The Academic Affairs Office will make copies of the student’s supporting documentation and will return originals to the student at the time of receipt.
- The Academic Affairs office will distribute all materials to the associate dean or Center of Excellence dean for the next steps. The dean will identify the appropriate faculty coordinator, program manager or program director to review the application and supporting documentation. They will then make a recommendation on credits to be awarded.
- The dean of Academic Affairs will review the faculty recommendation and sign off on credit to be awarded. Students will be notified of the decision via their Tri-C email address. If BYP credit is approved, students must pay the appropriate fees ($50 per course) through the Enrollment Center.
- The Office of the Registrar will notify students via their Tri-C email when the credit is posted to their academic record.
Preapproved Certifications Eligible for BYP Credit:
A+ = EET-1015, 1035, 1055 (or IT-2740)
Certified Ethical Hacker (CEH) = IT-2720
Child Development Associate Certificate (CDA) = ECED-1860 and ECED-1311
Linux+ = ITNT-2380
Microsoft 77-725 or MO-100 = BT-1150
Microsoft 77-726 or MO-101 = BT-2200
Microsoft 77-727 or MO-200 = BT-1700
Microsoft 77-728 or MO-201 = BT-2700
Microsoft 77-729 or MO-300 = BT-2211
Microsoft 77-730 or MO-500 = BT-2300
Network+ = ITNT-2300
Preapproved Certifications Eligible for Industry-Recognized Transfer Assurance Guides (ITAGs):
Cisco Certified Technician Routing and Switching (CCT) = EET-1303
Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA) = EET-1303, 2303 and 2313
CompTIA Security+ = ITNT-2370
ASE Automotive and Light Truck Certification = AUTO-1101
Siemens SCE Certification in Automation and Certificate in Advanced Automation = EET-2520
Rockwell Automation Studio 5000 Logix Programmer Certificate = EET-2520
Mitsubishi Electric PLC & HMI = EET-2520
Autodesk Certified Associate in Inventor for Mechanical Design = MET-2041
Certified SOLIDWORKS Associate in Mechanical Design = MET-2041
Certified SOLIDWORKS Professional in Mechanical Design = MET-2041
Licensed Practical Nursing (LPN) = NURS-1000, 1010, 1200, 1220 and 1240
ServSafe® Manager Certification = HOSP-1020
*There is no fee for ITAG-awarded credit.
**Send a copy of the certificate or credentials directly to the Office of the Registrar to receive ITAG credit. Visit the Tri-C ITAG webpage for more information.