By-pass credit is awarded for achieving competence equivalent to a course or sequence of courses applicable to fulfilling an academic degree requirement.
By-pass credit may be awarded for learning attained through documented, valid academic and/or equivalent work experience, including professional certification/licensing, portfolio evaluation and completion of formal training program. Formal training programs include, but are not limited to, hospital-based and corporate education for which requisite knowledge, skills and competencies are documented.
All BYP credit requests are routed through the Dean of Academic Affairs office, which will assign appropriate faculty and/or program managers to review and make a recommendation for award of credit.
BYP Credit Awarding Procedure
- Students must obtain a CPL By-Pass Credit Form from the Academic Affairs Office or online. Students may choose to meet with a counselor, program manager or faculty coordinator for additional assistance.
- Students submit BYP form and supporting documentation/rationale to the Academic Affairs office for verification and processing. Examples of documentation include, but are not limited to:
- Postsecondary academic experience: Official transcript (if from non-regionally accredited school).
- Equivalent work experience: Written description of work experience and letter from employer.
- Current licensure or certification: Copy of current license or certificate.
- Portfolio-based information: Determined by academic department.
* The Academic Affairs Office will make copies of the student’s supporting documentation and will return originals to student at the time of receipt.
- The Academic Affairs Office distributes all materials to the associate dean/Center of Excellence dean for next steps. The associate dean/Center of Excellence dean identifies the appropriate faculty coordinator/program manager/program director to review application and supporting documentation and makes a recommendation on courses to review the application and supporting documentation to make a recommendation on credits to be awarded.
- The dean of Academic Affairs reviews the faculty recommendation and signs off on credit to be awarded. Students will be notified of the decision via their Tri-C email address. If BYP credit is approved, students must pay the appropriate fees ($50 per course) at the campus Enrollment Center.
- The Office of the Registrar will notify you via Tri-C email once credit is posted to your academic record.
Certifications Eligible for By-Pass Credit:
A+ = EET-1015, 1035, 1055 (or IT-2740)
Network+ = ITNT-2300
Security+ = ITNT-2370
Linux+ = ITNT-2380
Microsoft 70-740 = ITNT-2320
Microsoft 70-741 = ITNT-2420
Microsoft 77-725 = BT-1201
Microsoft 77-726 = BT-2200
Microsoft 77-727 = BT-1700
Microsoft 77-728 = BT-2700
Microsoft 77-729 = BT-2210
Microsoft 77-730 = BT-2300
CCNA (Cisco) = EET-1302, 1312, 2302, 2312
CCENT (Cisco) = EET-1302, 1312
Certified Ethical Hacker (CEH) = IT-2720