Ohio Mortgage Loan Officer (MLO) Pre-Licensure Education and Exam Prep
In partnership with The CE Shop, Corporate College® offers MLO Online.
Getting a Mortgage Loan Officer license starts by completing your Ohio Pre-Licensure Education. In just 24 hours, you can complete your education and be enrolled in the Nationwide Multistate Licensing System (NMLS) database, ready to start originating loans. We also offer the eight hours of continuing education content needed every year.
What is a Mortgage Loan Officer?
Ohio Laws and Administrative Rules have outlined the definition of a Mortgage Loan Originator in Section 1322.01:
(AA)(1) "Mortgage Loan Originator" means an individual who for compensation or gain, or in the expectation of compensation or gain, does any of the following:
- Takes a residential mortgage loan application
- Assists or offers to assist a buyer in obtaining or applying to obtain a residential mortgage loan by, among other things, advising on loan terms, including rates, fees and other costs
- Offers or negotiates terms of a residential mortgage loan
- Issues or offers to issue a commitment for a residential mortgage loan to a buyer
Note: The titles “Mortgage Loan Officer” and “Mortgage Loan Originator” are often used interchangeably, including in the summary above.
Our Pre-Licensure Education packages fulfill the SAFE Act requirements and provide a comprehensive introduction to the principles and practices of mortgage lending. In addition to the required core topics, the course will focus on content areas appearing on the SAFE MLO Test:
- Three hours of federal law
- Three hours of ethics
- Two hours of nontraditional mortgage lending
- 12 hours of electives
- Four hours of Ohio law
- Uniform state content
- Loan inquiry
- Downloadable course handbooks
- Mortgage glossary
- Application process requirements, qualification, closing and financial calculations
View Courses and Register
Participants will have only 11 days to complete these online, self-paced courses.
Online Course With Coach
This online, self-paced and self-study course includes 3 1/2 hours of coaching access to 24 hours of MLO education and exam prep for both national and state requirements. Coaching will be scheduled directly with our local Mortgage Loan Officer before course access is obtained. ($650)
- Part 1: Overview/Introduction to Becoming a Mortgage Loan Officer With Coach (30 minutes – one hour)
- Part 2: Access and Completion of MLO Exam Prep Online Course (11-day time frame)
Online Course Login Information
- Course login information will be provided upon completion of Part 1 above.
- 30 minutes – one hour: MLO Overview/Introduction
- 2 1/2 hours: Course Coaching
- Start-of-course check-in
- Mid-course check-in
- End-of-course check-in
- Start-of-course check-in
Ohio Continuing Education Online Course
The state of Ohio requires all MLOs to obtain eight hours of continuing education content every year before Dec. 31. By registering for the below online, self-paced and self-study course, you will gain access to those eight hours of content to meet that state requirement. Online course access will be provided via email within one to two business days of registration and payment. ($155)
Note: Upon completion, report credits are sent by our partner to NMLS within seven business days of course completion, so don't wait until the last minute to obtain your yearly education.
Other Important Information
Provider Approval #1405076
Final Exams: Final exams must be passed with a minimum score of 70% and may be taken a maximum of three times.
Course Completion Reporting: Mortgage course completions are reported to NMLS. A unique NMLS ID is required to report course completions. Our partner will report your course within seven calendar days.
Ohio contact details for Mortgage Pre-Licensing Education
Ohio Division of Financial Institutions
Website: Ohio Division of Financial Institutions
NMLS Resources for Mortgage Pre-Licensing Education
Ohio MLO License Description Page
Professional Standards: Mortgage Education
Professional Standards: Criminal Background Check
Professional Standards: Credit Report
Professional Standards: MLO Testing