Dental Hygiene Clinic
The Dental Hygiene Department of Cuyahoga Community College operates a clinic as an integral part of the Dental Hygiene Program, staffed by Registered Dental Hygienists with advanced educational degrees and a supervising dentist. The clinic experience seeks to create an educational climate which facilitates the development of professional dental hygienists. Everyone is welcome in our clinic; however, clients 17 and younger must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian for the entire initial appointment.
The Dental Hygiene Clinic is an educational facility where students provide care with close supervision by clinical faculty. Frequent instructor interaction results in longer appointments. The client should expect to arrive promptly at the scheduled time and remain up to 3 1/2 hours. Multiple appointments may be necessary in order to thoroughly treat the needs of the client.
In order for students to obtain their clinical skills toward graduation, they are expected to fulfill specific requirements. This necessitates client cooperation and return visits until completion. Cancellations at the last minute make continuity of care difficult, if not impossible. If canceling an appointment is necessary, please call the clinic at 216-987-4413 at least 24 hours prior to appointment. Continued cancellations may limit your opportunity for further appointments.
Clients seeking dental health care at the Dental Hygiene Clinic will:
- Be treated with courtesy and respect
- Be apprised of clinic fees, time schedules and appointments
- Be provided an Informed Consent that must be signed to proceed with treatment
- Be screened for vital signs (blood pressure each appointment), respirations and pulse
- Have a comprehensive written medical and dental health history taken
- Have a thorough oral examination, including an oral cancer screening
- Be informed and have access to current dental status and referrals, if necessary
- Receive an explanation of the recommended treatment, alternatives and expected outcomes of various treatments
- Understand the option to refuse treatment and accept the risk of no treatment
- Receive oral health care instruction
- Grant permission to proceed with treatment
- Be informed of the radiographic evaluation
- Be able to request a duplicate set of radiographs
- Be assured of confidentiality with all information
- Be secure that infection control measures mandated by the Ohio State Dental Board are practiced
- Be assured of the continuity and completion of dental hygiene treatment that meets the standard of care in the profession
- Learn the connection between oral health and systemic health
Fees must be paid on the first appointment.
- Adult: $15
- Children: $10
- Sealants: $5/tooth
- Radiograph Duplication: $10/set
The fees include:
- Medical and Dental Health History
- Oral Cancer Examination
- Blood Pressure Readings
- Periodontal Charting
- Oral Hygiene Instruction
- Oral Prophylaxis (cleaning — scaling and polishing of the teeth)
- Radiographs (X-rays): Types of radiographs that may be necessary: Complete series, single films, panoramic, occlusal films, bite wings
- Fluoride Treatment
- Nutritional Counseling
- Diagnostic Study Models, if necessary
- Amalgam Polishing, if necessary
- Intra-oral Photographs, if necessary
- Free Toothbrush
Clinic hours vary from semester to semester. Contact the Dental Hygiene Clinic at 216-987-4413 for exact times, to schedule an appointment, or leave a message, and we will return your call as soon as possible.
Visitor parking is available in designated areas around campus.