It is the policy of Cuyahoga Community College to remain open for business each working day unless it is clearly impractical to do so. Unusually severe weather may occasionally require that classes be canceled/delayed or overall operations be closed in the interest of safety for all students, faculty, staff and community. Ultimately, all students, faculty, staff must assume responsibility for their own health and safety, as well as for their class or work responsibility.
Weather Closing Procedure:
The President of the College has directed that the decision to delay/cancel classes or close shall be made by the Executive Vice President (EVP) of Administration and Finance in consultation with other departments following the decision-making protocols outlined in this document. College Procedure 3354: 1-20-04 covers the institution’s emergency response and closing procedures.
Upon assessing overall site conditions from Campus Police, Plant Operations, feedback from outside entities, and assessment and recommendation from the EVP of Academic and Student Affairs, the Chief of Police will convey the recommendation to the EVP of Administration and Finance for class delay/cancellation, or College closing.
When practical, a final decision for delaying/canceling classes or closing of the College will be made by 6 a.m. for day classes and 3 p.m. for evening classes.
- If the College must close due to inclement weather or other emergency circumstances, all classes (on-ground, online and blended) will be canceled. Only essential employees (Public Safety and Plant Operations) should report.
- Non-essential employees should NOT report to work. This includes employees with an approved remote work schedule.
Means of Notification:
Once a decision has been made on a closing, the College will notify all faculty, staff and students using the following communication methodologies:
- Mass Notification System - Closing announcements will be announced as a Tri-C Alert, with a phone call and text message. This message will always come from 1-866-989-ALRT (2578).
- In order to receive a call, you must have provided an updated Alert number in your personal information on my Tri-C Space. Students who have opted out of the Tri-C Alert System will not receive a message.
- For employees of vendors providing services on a Tri-C campus and/or building who wish to receive an alert can fill out the following form.
- Interactive Media/Website - Closing announcements are also posted promptly on my Tri-C Space, the external website (www.Tri-C.edu) and via the College's social media channels.
- Local media - Closings are shared by local television stations via scrolling announcements and websites.
- Call Center - The Call Center will also relay closing announcements on 1-800-954-TRIC (8742)
- ALRT (2578) phone number - The Alert phone number (1-866-989-2578) will also include updated information about closings.
- Where appropriate, the Emergency Voice Notification System (EVNS) on campus may also be used to disseminate voice messages to the campus regarding a College closure.