Ballpark Beer Bratwurst
- 2 lbs. good-quality bratwurst
- 2 bottles of beer (German or American beer works well, but can use your favorite), enough to cover brats
- 2 medium onions, sliced into thick rings
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- ½ cup barbeque sauce
- ¼ cup Dijon or brown mustard
- ¼ teaspoon hot sauce such as Tabasco or Sriracha (optional)
- Preheat one side of the grill for indirect cooking.
- Using a disposable aluminum pan or other grill-safe pan, add beer and onions and bring to simmer. Add sausages, turning to simmer 15 minutes per side.
- Once done, remove from pan and grill over high heat until just browned, about 1-2 minutes per side (160 degrees internal temperature). Set aside.
- While grilling bratwurst, add into the pan all remaining ingredients and stir. Cook sauce until thickened, about 20 to 30 minutes.
- Place the brats back into the sauce for serving and enjoy with toppings of your choice!
Hint: Love beer cheese sauce? The pan sauce makes a great base, just add your favorite cheese!