Mac and Cheese Cakes
- ½ cup butter
- ½ tsp. dry mustard
- 1 qt. warm milk
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1lb. 8 oz. (approx. 6 cups) extra sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 4 oz. Chopped Low Fat/Sodium Ham
- 4 Tbsp. Tabasco
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 lb. cooked elbow macaroni
- 2 whole eggs
- 1 cup fresh bread crumbs
- Clarified butter or vegetable oil
- Place butter, salt, mustard and milk in a heavy-bottomed pot. Cook for two minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add cheese, bring to a simmer, stirring with a whisk until thickened.
- Add ham, tabasco and Worcestershire, stir.
- Add macaroni and mix thoroughly. Cool.
- Add eggs and bread crumbs, mix. Chill in a shallow pan for at least one hour in the refrigerator.
- Using 1/4 cup measure, scoop out and form into patties. Coat patties with the breadcrumbs.
- Saute in clarified butter until golden brown.