Sport and Exercise Studies
Area of Study: Sport and Exercise Studies
Degree/Certificate: Associate of Applied Science degree in Sport and Exercise Studies
If you are not already an active Tri-C student, you must first apply to the college. If you are interested in more than one health careers program, you must submit a separate health careers application for each program. You may only apply to three programs at one time.
About Sport and Exercise Studies at Tri-C:
Students completing the program will receive an Associate of Applied Science Degree in Sport and Exercise Studies to become fitness specialists. Students graduating from the Sport and Exercise Studies program can continue their education at four-year universities. Currently the Sport and Exercise Studies program at Cuyahoga Community College has a partnership with:
Students complete courses in anatomy and physiology, exercise physiology, kinesiology, exercise testing, measurement and evaluation, exercise prescription and program design, CPR/AED, first aid, sport injury care, exercise training techniques, fitness and wellness coaching, sport management, nutrition, health, English, mathematics, speech, and psychology. Students will also complete a practicum experience in their desired profession.
Students pursuing the Associate of Applied Science degree in Sport and Exercise Studies can choose to study on a full- or part-time basis. Courses are available on campus, in Blended Learning format or online at the following Tri-C campuses: Eastern, Metropolitan, Western.
The program is designed to prepare students for the following entry-level roles:
- Health Fitness Specialist
- Personal Trainer
- Fitness Coordinator
- Group Exercise Coordinator
- Group Fitness Instructor
- Specialty Instructor
- Sport Coach
The program is designed to prepare students to demonstrate the following program outcomes upon graduation from the Sport and Exercise Studies program:
- Accurately interpret health status and risk stratification data and perform industry-standard fitness assessments and exercise tests for individuals of all ages and fitness levels.
- Effectively demonstrate a variety of exercises and teach safe and correct use of exercise equipment and other exercise apparatus to individuals of all ages and fitness levels.
- Effectively design, implement supervise, and evaluate exercise prescriptions and exercise programs in accordance with individual needs, goals, and assessment date results.
- Effectively educate, motivate, and/or communicate with individuals to influence healthy lifestyle behavior modifications.
- Perform safe, ethical, and legal practices in a variety of health and fitness-related settings within the scope of practice.
- Demonstrate organizational and administrative leadership by establishing program directions, risk management, budgetary and financial plans.
- Graduates of the program will be prepared to take a variety of accredited and nationally recognized personal training and/or group fitness instructor certifications.
Graduates of the program will be prepared to take accredited certifications in personal training and/or group fitness instructor from organizations such as:
- Aerobics and Fitness Association of America (AFAA)
- American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM)
- American Council on Exercise (ACE)
- National Academy of Sports Medicine (NASM)
- National Council on Strength and Fitness (NCSF)
- National Strength and Conditioning Association (NSCA)
PROGRAM STATUS: The Sports and Exercise Studies program is now accepting for Spring 2015 at each campus.