Basic Police Academy
Peace Officer Basic Training (POBT) Academy- Ohio Peace Officer Training Commission Certified (OPOTC)
The Police Academy, also known as The Peace Officer Basic Training (POBT) Academy, is a rigorous program that is designed for individuals who have made the career decision to be police officers in the State of Ohio. In addition to the State mandated POBT curriculum, students participate in specialized training to enhance their background and provide greater career opportunities. Students who successfully complete the POBT Academy will have earned 24 credit hours.
Cuyahoga Community College (Tri-C) POBT Academies begin each Spring and Fall. The deadline for application submission is typically one month prior to the start of the Academy. The full-time, day Academies and part-time, evening Academies are held at the KeyBank Public Safety Training Center (PSTC) on Tri-C's Western Campus in Parma Heights.
Upcoming Basic Police Academies
SPRING 2018 Full-time Start Date: March 12, 2018
All requirements must be met and paperwork turned in on or before February 12, 2018
Application packets can be downloaded using the link to the right. If you would like to have it mailed to you, please call the Academy office and we will add you to our mailing list. If your call goes to voicemail, please CLEARLY leave your name, address and phone number in order to be placed on the list. Please spell your first and last name and your street.
Students seeking enrollment in Tri-C’s POBT must meet all entry requirements according to the due dates specified in the Application Packet. Candidates must:
- pass the Entry Physical Fitness Assessment Exam
- apply for and be accepted as a student at Tri-C and be in good financial and academic standing
- successfully pass the National WebCheck for Law Enforcement (BCI&I/FBI)
- successfully pass the five-panel drug screen
- receive a physical exam in good health from their physician
- be a high school graduate or have successfully completed the G.E.D. program when the Academy starts
- have a valid Ohio driver’s license and currently have full driving privileges in the State of Ohio
- NOT have a criminal background
- be at least 20 years old at the time of acceptance to the Academy
Students who are accepted for enrollment in Tri-C’s POBT:
- are registered as credit students seeking an Associate of Applied Science degree in Criminal Justice with a concentration in Basic Police Academy
- may apply for and use financial aid, if qualified
- must meet requirements for using Veteran’s Administration and Ohio National Guard Scholarship Assistance Program funds