Math Learning Community
Math 8/4 Combination
The Math 8/4 Combination is a learning community consisting of two math courses taught in the same semester.
- MATH 0955 (first 8 weeks)
- MATH 1240 (weeks 9-12)
The purpose of this course is to allow students to move through their required developmental education math course and their first college level math course all in one semester rather than taking these classes in two 16-week semesters. For many students this is all the math required for their degree.
Students must complete BOTH of the following in order to enroll in the 8/4 combination:
- Placement into Math 0955 on the placement exam or recommendation by the 0910 instructor
- A brief meeting, either in person or by phone, with the instructor of the course, in order to ensure that student and instructor are in agreement as to the expectations for the course.
The nine credit combo course meets four days a week for three hours and creates a cohort that fosters student success; the same group of students going through the semester with the same instructor.
Why Math 8/4?
- Students are able to move into their major courses more quickly by fulfilling all their math requirements in one semester.
- 82% of students earned an A or B grade in their college level math course.
- Success is attributed to the configuration of the course – there is no time to “forget” the information from the preparatory class.