Prior Learning Assessment (formerly Comparable Credit Opportunities)
What is Prior Learning Credit?
Prior Learning Credit is degree credit awarded for demonstrated and relevant college-level education acquired through non-traditional schooling, work or other life experience. Prior Learning Credit is sometimes referred to as Comparable Credit or Credit for Prior Experience.
Who is Eligible?
You must be a current Tri-C student enrolled for a minimum of 12 credit hours OR have completed a minimum of 20 credit hours at Cuyahoga Community College. You must have a minimum GPA of 2.0.
Types of Prior Learning Credit
- ACE Standardized Training and Certification Programs
- By-Pass Credit
- College Level Examination Program (CLEP) -- CLEP Exams and Aligned Tri-C Courses
- Credit by Exam
- DSST (formerly DANTES)
- Military Training Credit: ACE Military Guide
- Tech Prep Credit
If you can answer yes to at least two of the following questions, you may be a good candidate for Prior Learning Credit:
- Do you have significant work or volunteer experience in the area in which you are seeking credit?
- Do you have national or industry certifications that help define your learning experience?
- Do your experiences relate to courses offered at Tri-C?
- Are you able to articulate and document the learning that has taken place as a result of your experience?
- Have you remained current with recent publications, developments and research in the area in which you are seeking college credit?
- Are you able to document the methods by which you remain engaged in your field?
If you meet the above criteria, what are the next steps?
- Review the Comparable Credit Handbook and schedule an appointment with a counselor to identify the courses for which you may be eligible for Prior Learning Credit and to determine how to apply for that credit.
- Submit either the By Pass Credit, Credit by Exam or ACE/Military Request for Award of Comparable Credit form and pay applicable processing fees. The complete procedure can be found on each form.
Please note that a minimum of 20 of the required 60 semester credit hours required for graduation must be completed at Cuyahoga Community College.