Private Security Training Academy
Whether you’re already working in private security or want to start a new career, the Private Security Training Academy at Cuyahoga Community College (Tri-C®) can help you on your path to a rewarding career as a security professional.
About Private Security Officer Training
Tri-C’s Private Security Training Academy prepares you to become a private security officer. Security officers protect property, people, equipment and money from theft or other criminal activity including waste, damage and unsafe behavior. This rewarding career will allow you to earn more salary and move into supervisory roles.
- Day, evening and weekend classes available
- Offered at Tri-C’s Western and Metropolitan campuses
- 160 contact hours – Exceeds the state minimum of 124 hours
- Lectures, hands-on training, scenario-based and group participation
- Prepares you to take the Ohio Peace Officer Training Commission (OPOTC) exam
- Additional advanced training certifications available
- State-of-the-art law enforcement training facility including onsite range
- High school diploma or GED
- At least 18 years old at time of acceptance
- National WebCheck for Law Enforcement background check (BCI&I/FBI)*
*A domestic violence conviction or any conviction of a lesser offense or plea where the original charge was domestic violence will prevent a student from taking the firearms portion of training.
Financial Aid and Degrees
- Academy students can apply for financial aid, if eligible.
- 12 credit hours can be applied toward an Associate of Applied Science degree in Criminal Justice
- Select upcoming academy
- Complete security academy application
Hear From Our Graduates
Graduates of Tri-C’s Private Security Training Academy have secured employment with school districts, private security agencies, government agencies, municipalities, retail facilities, hospitals and correctional facilities.
Working in security can be challenging, but the in-depth security knowledge and lessons that I learned from Tri-C’s Private Security Training Academy have helped me to be successful in my current position. -Stephanie P., Quicken Loan Arena
Tri-C’s Private Security Training Academy prepared me for my future in the security and law enforcement through outstanding training and hands-on skills that has allowed me to effectively provide security and protection of people, property and assets. -Shurkrea C., Cuyahoga Community College Police Department
Tri-C’s Private Security Training Academy exposed me to all the job opportunities in security, including executive protection, retail and investigations to name a few. -Lamont D., Cleveland Metropolitan School District
The instructors for Tri-C’s Private Security Training Academy were very knowledgeable and because many had worked in the security industry, they were able to share real-world examples and information. -Vida J., Juvenile Courts Administration