The certificate in Healthcare Informatics is designed for information professionals, clinical personnel and health care support personnel who want to increase their knowledge of health information technology and prepare for the management of the complex social and organizational issues surrounding this major change in healthcare. The program integrates data science, social science, and healthcare to give students the skills and knowledge needed to help an organization improve the overall quality of healthcare and population health. The curriculum is built around the most relevant, real-world health care issues to ensure students will gain the skills needed to provide and implement immediate, impactful, and efficient Healthcare Informatics solutions.
The certificate in Healthcare Informatics prepares students who already have experience in either an IT-related field, or a health profession, to transition into the Healthcare Informatics workforce as effective members of teams that manage and perform the customization, implementation, integration and maintenance of healthcare information systems, data and components. It is recommended that students enrolling in this program already possess a bachelor’s degree.
This hybrid program is a combination of online and face-to-face sessions: 16 weeks of online course work, and four, eight hour, hands on workshops held monthly on Saturdays at Corporate College East in Warrensville Heights, OH. The team of facilitators bring together the most up to date experience in health informatics and data science.
- Current and emerging data standards and principles of interoperability
- Healthcare policies and regulations related to information security, privacy and protected health information, and institutional accreditation and certification requirements.
- Healthcare workflow and information management practices to better leverage the capabilities of new information technology systems
- Gathering, identifying and documenting requirements for technology solutions, working closely with clinical and non-clinical stakeholders
- Healthcare data analysis, dashboard development and reporting using Microsoft Power BI
Students completing this program are eligible to take the Certified Associate in Health Information & Management Systems (CAHIMS) exam administered by the Health Information Management Systems Society (HIMSS).
Visit http://www.himss.org/health-it-certification for details.