For Fall 2020, Blackboard Learn (LMS) has both Blackboard Collaborate Ultra and Webex integrated within the learning management system (LMS). The fall semester is intended as a time to test them out to determine what would work best for your online synchronous class sessions and office hours. Webex will also remain as a tool outside of the Blackboard Learn environment.
Please note: If testing the tools within Blackboard Learn with students, it is recommended to only use one tool per course, making the other option unavailable by going to your course and selecting “Customization” > “Tool Availability” and unchecking the tool not being used, don’t forget to select “Submit”.
** Functions noted as a priority through Tri-C faculty survey conducted by the Tri-C Technology Governance Committee.
- Blackboard Collaborate Ultra has a “personal” room per course. Students and instructor can access the Course Room at any time without the requirement of scheduling a meeting. The instructor can lock the room if it is determined that students should not enter without the instructor present.
- Webex Training: Sessions can have restricted access, but sessions cannot be locked.
- Blackboard Collaborate Ultra: Faculty can add the following file types to a course room or a scheduled meeting prior to the start: PDF, image or PowerPoint.
- Webex within Blackboard Learn Office Hours: Faculty set up a schedule for office hours within each course and students pick a time, a meeting is automatically generated, and an email sent to instructor.
- Automatic transcription of recordings can be turned on, see Webex Frequently Answered Questions for Faculty and Staff. Webex Meetings now has live captioning through “Cisco Webex Assistant” for all faculty and staff, email firstname.lastname@example.org to have it turned on.
- Coming soon: Webex Meetings will have breakout sessions.
- Comparison chart is subject to change based on updates to the web conferencing tools.
- Blackboard Collaborate Ultra: Specific Online office hours function coming soon. Current option is to use a Course Room from a sandbox site and share in all courses.