Tri-C Claims Fifth Consecutive NJCAA Regional Indoor Track Championship
Triceratops run, jump and throw to individual and relay titles in 12 events
Dayvione Briggs won four individual titles and anchored a first-place relay team to power the Cuyahoga Community College (Tri-C®) women’s track team to its fifth consecutive indoor track regional championship.
Briggs took top honors in the long jump and triple jump before moving to the track and winning the 60-meter hurdles and 400-meter dash. The Cleveland Heights native also ran the last leg of the winning 4x400-meter relay team.
Other Triceratops climbing to the top of the podium included:
- Journee Carnegie (Berea) in the weight throw
- Hannah Heath (Sullivan) in the 3,000-meter run
- Keasia Jenkins (Niles) in the 60-meter and 200-meter dash
- Claudia Mendek (North Royalton) in the 5,000-meter run
- Juliet Rayer (North Royalton) in the 800-meter run
- Ellexis Tracy (Sheffield) in the shot put
I’Tayia Harris (Lima) teamed with Briggs, Jenkins and Rayer to win the 4x400-meter relay.
The performances lifted the Triceratops to the top of the standings at the NJCAA Region XII Indoor Track Championships held Feb. 15 at the University of Findlay. Tri-C has won the past five indoor titles and 19 overall since 2000.
The team is ranked 24th in the nation in the latest NJCAA/U.S. Track & Field and Cross Country Coaches Association Poll.
February 17, 2020
John Horton, 216-987-4281 firstname.lastname@example.org