Why Payroll Certifications are Important
By Tina Peery Gholson, CPP and Tom Rafferty, CPP - Corporate College Instructors
Certification courses allow employees to obtain specialized training needed to succeed in today’s competitive workplace. It allows employees to set themselves apart from others, demonstrating to employers that you take your career seriously and have committed to enhancing your skills.
The American Payroll Association (APA) was founded in 1982 and is an organization of payroll professionals committed to the advancement of the payroll profession. The APA offers two certification exams.
The Fundamental Payroll Certification (FPC) is for those new to the payroll profession, or those supporting payroll professionals in roles such as human resources, benefits, sales, consulting, IT/system analysis or as a service bureau representative. There is no prior work requirement to sit for this exam. You just need an interest to jump in and learn what working in payroll is all about.
The Certified Payroll Professional (CPP) can be obtained by payroll professionals who have been working in the field for at least three of the five years preceding the exam date. There is an expectation of knowledge mastery for this exam. This certification is for professionals working in supervisory or management level roles, or those looking to advance their careers to those levels.
The benefits of certifications are numerous:
- Develops your knowledge, skills, and abilities.
- Increases your value to your current organization and marketability when looking for a new job or promotion.
- Certified professionals often earn more than those who do not have a certification.
- Gives you a sense of personal accomplishment.
- Demonstrates your commitment to the profession.
- Puts you in an elite group of professionals who have demonstrated proficiency in their chosen careers.
During these uncertain times, now would be a great time to upgrade your skills and invest in yourself. Earning a certification can open a whole new world of opportunities!