Tri-C JazzFest DownBeat Invitational Is Underway
April 10, 2014
Tri-C JazzFest's DownBeat Invitation got underway today (April 10) with performances by the Christian McBride Trio and student ensembles.
The morning saw sets by:
- Hudson High School Jazz Band II, under the direction of John Burrington
- Bedford Jazz Ensemble, directed by Shawn Nicols
- General McLane High School Jazz Band (Edinboro, Penn.), directed by John Marszalek
- Solon High School Jazz Band I, under the direction of Ed Kline
- John Carroll University Jazz Band, directed by Martin Hoehler
A special performance by members of Jazz House Kids got underway just after noon in the Metro Campus Auditorium. Jazz House Kids is a community-based arts organization in Montclair, N.J. with a mission to provide year-round musical, educational, and cultural programs to students in grades K-12, teachers, adults, and families from diverse backgrounds. Performers included Jack Ferguson (tenor sax), Zoe Obadia (alto sax), Liam Werner (trumpet), George Austin (bass), Zach Adelman (drums), Rahsaan Pickett (guitar), and Theo Walentiny (piano).
McBride’s wife, Melissa Walker, founder and executive director of Jazz House Kids, was in the audience.
McBride, a bassist, three-time Grammy winner and this year’s Tri-C JazzFest artist-in-residence, followed the group along with drummer Carl Allen and pianist Christian Sands.
Their set included “Day By Day,” “Hallelujah Time” and an original — the jaunty, stuttering “Ham Hocks and Cabbage.” McBride sported jeans, a windowpane-patterned jacket and hat. Sands, 24, wowed with blurry-fingered runs over the keyboard. The three were all smiles throughout their set.
The Christian McBride Trio will perform along with the Jazz House Kids beginning at 8 p.m. today at Mahall’s, 13200 Madison Ave., Lakewood. Admission is free.
The DownBeat Invitational continues Friday (April 11) with student performances from 8-11:15 a.m. in the Main Stage Theatre.
Groups performing are:
- Cleveland School of the Arts Jazz Ensemble, directed by Robert Davis
- Brecksville-Broadview Heights Jazz Ensemble, directed by Jason Wyse
- Cleveland Heights High School Big Band 023, directed by Brett Baker
- Cleveland Heights High School Big Band 025, directed by Brett Baker
- Brooklyn High School Jazz Ensemble, directed by Sean Sullivan
- Cuyahoga Falls Gold Tones Jazz Orchestra, directed by Brandon Duvall
Jazz House Kids and the Christian McBride Trio perform beginning at 12:15 p.m. in the Metro Campus Auditorium. A master class follows at 1:30 p.m. in the auditorium. A student jam session is set for 2:15 p.m. in the Main Stage Theatre. “Shop Talk: Band Directors’ Roundtable” takes place at 2:15 p.m. in the auditorium.
McBride will DJ from 7-10 p.m. Friday (April 11) at Liquid, 1212 W. 6th St., Cleveland. There is no cover charge.