Frequently Asked Questions 

Do I need a high school diploma or a G.E.D. in order to apply to the Private Security or Police Academies?
Yes, you do need to possess either one or the other.  Key Career Place can assist you in getting your G.E.D. if you need help.

Can I use Financial Aid?
Yes, if you qualify.  Both Police and Private Security Academy students are registered as full time and are eligible to apply for Financial Aid.

Can I use my VA benefits?

Yes- we will need a copy of your DD214 and your Letter of Eligibility.

What if I have a felony on my record?
Having a felony on your record does not automatically disqualify you from enrolling in one of our courses.  Contact someone from the Public Safety Institute so that we can discuss in further detail whether or not you will be eligible.

Do I have to buy my own books and/or uniforms?
Police Academy Students:  Uniforms and printed materials are provided as part of the cost of the Academy.
Private Security Academy Students:  A polo shirt, t-shirt and printed materials are provided as part of the cost of the Academy.

Do I have to buy my own weapon?
Police Academy Students:  DO have to provide their own weapon; however, we suggest waiting to purchase your firearm until after you receive your acceptance letter.  At orientation, the Range Sergeant will give you information regarding weapon and duty gear specifications.

Private Security Academy Students:  DO NOT have to purchase their own weapon for training.  Use of a firearm is included in the cost of tuition.

Do you have a job placement service?
Both the Private Security and the Police Academies have a job posting board in the office, but there is no direct job placement service.  However, Tri-C’s Key Career Place will be happy to assist you in creating a resume.

Do you give the Agility Certificates to the Agency for which I am testing?
It is your responsibility to provide the testing Agency with your Agility Certificate upon successful completion.

Where is the agility testing offered?
The agility testing is only offered at the Western Campus Recreation Center in Parma.  The address is 11000 Pleasant Valley Road, Parma, OH 44130.

Can I take the motorcycle class at all the campuses?
Currently, the motorcycle programs are offered only at the Eastern and Western Campuses.  The address to the Eastern Campus is 4250 Richmond Road, Highland Hills, OH 44122.  The address for the Western Campus is 11000 Pleasant Valley Road, Parma, OH 44130.

Do you have to have a temporary motorcycle license to take the motorcycle class?
Yes- before you begin the Basic Rider Motorcycle Class, you must have a valid Ohio temporary permit.  Out of state active military is the only exception.

How to reach us

For additional information including registration please contact the Public Safety Institute:

Basic Police Academy

Private Security Academy

Law Enforcement Advanced Training







Contact Us Tri-C
Workforce Solutions
Corporate College

Phone Directory
Send Us an Email
Did You Know? Tri-C has programs and
certificates for every interest.

Tri-C offers high quality
instruction at a low cost.

Tri-C offers courses in
over 15 locations.

Cuyahoga Community College was named 1 of 21 Achieving the Dream Leader Colleges in 2010.
Campuses & Locations
Select a Campus
Request more information

Download our brochure
Connect With Us My Tri-C Space

© 2012 Cuyahoga Community College
700 Carnegie Avenue, Cleveland, Ohio 44115