DOL H-1B Technical Skills Training Program – Medical Information Office Assistant(MAT)
Cuyahoga Community College (Tri-C®) has been awarded a major Department of Labor* grant to provide specialized training to unemployed Northeast Ohio workers for high-wage jobs as Medical Records Technicians. This program is designed for persons with existing technical background that wishes to pursue a career in electronic medical records implementation and support. Program Partners: COSE and Employment Connection.
The grant will fund scholarships that will cover:
• Cost of tuition
• Certification exam fees
Training Program Information
Medical Information office Assistant is designed for individuals interested in an entry-level position working as a medical office assistant. The Medical Information Office Assistant will be trained in both medical administrative duties such as front office receptionist work, insurance billing, and medical records and additionally will be trained in electronic health records and IT software skills. This provides the physician with a hybrid employee that can function as both an administrative support person and an IT support person.
• Medical Terminology
• Electronic Health Records
• Computer Concepts
• Fundamentals of Billing Reimbursement
• Medical Front Office Fundamentals
• A+ Operating Systems and Troubleshooting
Certified Medical Administrative Assistant (CMAA)
Certified medical administrative assistants will perform routine
administrative tasks to help keep the physicians’ offices and clinics running efficiently.
Electronic Health Record Specialist (CEHRS™)
The certified electronic health record specialist (CEHRS) is
responsible for maintaining the integrity and protecting the
Jobs Titles for Medical Records and Health Information Technicians
- EHR Implementation Specialist
- Medical Records Technician
- Electronic Health Records Technician
- Electronic Medical Records Data Analyst
- Reside in one of the following counties: Cuyahoga, Medina, Lorain, Lake or Geauga (minimum 30 Reside in Cuyahoga, Medina, Lorain, Lake or Geauga
(minimum 30 days)
- Long-term unemployed (27+ weeks unemployed) with special efforts to target and recruit minorities
and women; priority of service will be given to eligible veterans that meet program requirements
- Able to participate in a rigorous boot camp style (accelerated) training program lasting 15 weeks
- Pass assessments:
TABE for 10th grade math and reading proficiency
- Willingness to participate in a minimum of a four to five week, unpaid internship
- Applicants pay out of pocket for background check. Must successfully pass the background check (BCIand FBI; no criminal history).
- Customer/patient focused
- Critical thinker
- Detailed oriented
- Can work under pressure
- Accepts responsibility
- Good work ethic
- Unpaid Internship assignment
- Job placement assistance
- Job fair
JAN 6, 2014
Training Program Length
290+ hours over 15 weeks
• Up to a five-week unpaid internship will be completed prior to the end of training.
*This is a U.S. Department of Labor (DOL) Employment Training Administration (ETA) sponsored training program.
For More Information