This 315 contact hour fast-track program provides instruction and hands-on training in subjects related to careers in the construction skilled trades.
Participants will be required to take the standard College math and English assessments. A study guide for the assessments is available.
- Overview of a variety of trades
- Hands-on project work and traditional classroom training
- Convenient day, evening and weekend courses
- Applied math
- Physical fitness: back maintenance, weight transfer, ladder ascent/descent, circuit training and nutrition
- OSHA-10 for the construction industry
- Spatial visualization and mechanical principles
- Blueprint interpretation
- Proper usage of common hand tools
- Construction orientation lab and lecture
- Project work in carpentry, residential electrical, plumbing, masonry, roofing, drywall installation and construction measurement trades
- Communication and teamwork
- Time management and planning
Available to those who qualify
Starting hourly rate is $12 - $16
The construction trades are physically demanding and subject to climatic and economic conditions. The Department of Labor reports that employment in the industry is expected to grow overall by 11 percent through 2016. Those who have specialized skills will have the best employment opportunities.
Did You Know?
The Ohio Department of Job and Family Services expects about 1,000 annual openings in construction through 2016 in Northeast Ohio.