Complete the Official Contest Entry Form *Deadline Extended until November 14th, 2017 at 11:59pm*
Explanation of the Contest
(re)imaginings is an opportunity to add your imagination to Just Mercy, Tri-C’s Common Reading Program text for Fall 2017.
You can (re)imagine any portion of the book in any medium. Explore the book’s themes of mass incarceration, justice, racial inequality, and poverty.
The idea is to relate something from the text in the form of a poem, essay, song, sculpture, play, dance, short film, speech, recipe, photograph, painting, research project, poster, etc. It’s up to you to choose a form that works for you.
Your (re)imagined entry should reflect the ideas raised in Stevenson’s book. Consider these questions as a starting place:
- What are the consequences of mass incarceration? How does it impact our society?
- What story from the book resonated with you and how would you represent that in a creative way?
- Describe what mass incarceration or injustice looks like, sounds like, or feels like.
- Must be currently enrolled as a Tri-C student for Fall 2017 as of November 18, 2017
- One entry per student or group
- Students interested in entering the contest must obtain a faculty sponsor. Faculty sponsors do not have to be a current instructor of the entrant
Call for Submissions
Open submissions will begin September 1, 2017 at midnight EST and close November 14, 2017 at 11:59pm EST. A judging panel will meet to evaluate the entries. Winners will be notified in late November via the contact information provided. Contest creators reserve the right to shorten or extend the call for submissions. Submissions become the property of Cuyahoga Community College and may be used/reproduced in various marketing and educational endeavors without any future claim to copyright or compensation.
How to Enter
Finalists in categories of Creative Writing, Visual, Performance, Media, and Academic will be awarded prizes. All finalists will be considered for one of three grand prizes: People’s Choice, President’s Choice, Best in Show--those winners will receive an additional prize.
(re)imaginings Celebratory Reception
Selected entries will be honored and displayed at the college-wide (re)imaginings celebratory event on Friday, December 8th from 6 - 8 p.m. at Tri-C's Hospitality Management Center on Public Square.
*Guests will be able to taste and vote on the culinary entries in real time.
Contest Creators retain the right to cancel or adjust the contest at any time.