English and math assessments are mandatory at Tri-C and determine the courses for which a student may register. Students may use qualifying ACT or SAT scores instead of taking the math and English placement tests. All assessment exam scores, including ACT and SAT scores, are valid for course placement for two years from the test date.
Students requiring testing accommodations should contact the Access program.
Preparing For Your Placement Test
- Complete the Tri-C admission process and have a valid student ID number (S#).
- Prepare for the placement tests.
- Come to the testing center for your placement test.
- Tests are not timed.
- Calculators are built into the math placement test.
- Take your results to counseling appointments and/or orientation.
- All students who test into developmental math courses must register for and complete all coursework sequentially until they have reached college-level math. For more information, please visit the Fast Forward: Do the Math website.
Placement Tests Administered
- Biology Placement Test
- Placement into BIO 2331 or BIO 233A.
- Additional information is available at - Biology Placement Test.
- Chemistry Placement Test
- Placement into CHEM 1010, CHEM 1020, or CHEM 1300.
- Additional information is available at - Chemistry Assessment Test.
- ACCUPLACER® Math Placement Test
- ACCUPLACER® WritePlacer English Placement Test
- English as a Second Language (ESL) Placement Test
- ESL students must test into the third level before taking the math placement test.