Cuyahoga Community College is committed to promoting student success through responsible student loan borrowing. Student loans are borrowed money that has to be repaid, with interest, to the U.S. Department of Education. The William D. Ford Federal Direct Loan is a low-interest loan for students to help pay for the cost of college education. Moderate student loan borrowing demonstrates financial responsibility and ensures students incur limited debt to finance their education.
NEW STUDENT LOAN BORROWERS:
First-time student loan borrowers are required to complete an Entrance Interview Counseling session prior to borrowing a student loan. This counseling session helps students understand their rights and responsibilities as a student loan borrower. Complete an online Entrance Counseling session. The Entrance Interview must be completed before student loan funds can be approved.
EXISTING STUDENT LOAN BORROWERS:
Students who have borrowed federal student loans are required to complete and Exit Interview Counseling session upon graduating, dropping below six (6) credit hours, or withdrawing from school. The Exit Counseling session can be completed online at www.nlsds.ed.gov. The Office of Student Financial Aid and Scholarships also provides comprehensive financial education counseling sessions to assist students with understanding all student loans borrowed and potential repayment options. More information about student loan repayment options can be found at www.direct.ed.gov/student.html.
William D. Ford Federal Subsidized Loan (FDLS)
- Up to $3,500 for students (0-29 credits) - 1st year
- Up to $4,500 for students (30+ credits) - 2nd year
- Subsidized student loan interest is deferred while enrolled in at least half-time/part-time status (6 credits)
- Current subsidized and unsubsidized loans interest rates are fixed at 4.66%
- Current PLUS loan interest rates are fixed 7.21% and are capped at 10.5%
- Effective July 1, 2012 - subsidized loans are no longer eligible for interest subsidy during the 6-month grace period
William D. Ford Federal Unsubsidized Loan (FDLU)
- For independent students, up to $6,000 in addition to the subsidized student loan.
- For dependent students, up to $2,000 in addition to the subsidized student loan.
- Unsubsidized student loan interest is capitalized while enrolled in at least half-time/part-time status (6 credits), and payment is deferred.
- Interest rates may vary, up to the maximum of 8.25%.
William D. Ford Parent Loan for Undergraduate Students (PLUS)
- Parents may borrow loans for undergraduate students to assist with the cost of educational expenses
- Student must be enrolled in at least 6 credits per semester
- Amount of loan may be up to the cost of attendance, less any financial aid that the student receives
- Interest rates and amounts based on approved credit rating; May require a cosigner
Nursing Education Assistance Loan Program (NEALP)
- Must be repaid if student does not serve as a full-time nurse in Ohio for five years
- Ohio students enrolled in at least 6 credit hours and accepted into an approved Ohio pre-licensure nurse education program
- Up to $1,500, based on estimated family contribution (EFC) on the FAFSA, and enrollment status
Charles E. Schell Loan
- Must be an enrolled student for credit courses at Cuyahoga Community College
- Must be a resident of Ohio, West Virginia, Kentucky or adjoining States
- Must be between the ages of 15 and 25 years of age
- Must be a citizen of and born in the United States
- Must maintain a 2.0 cumulative Cuyahoga Community College grade point average
- Schell Loan application
Private Education Loan
- Loans are offered by private lenders, with unique criteria and features, based upon the lender.
- Students may be eligible to borrow when enrolled as full-time, half-time, or less-than-half-time status in degree and certificate programs, as well as in vocational programs.
- Interest rates may be fixed or variable.
- Additional information about private education loans.
For information regarding your Perkins loan, contact ECSI.